Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain Vehicles For The Driver’s Side Power Window Master Switch
TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 10, 2012 – Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS), today announced that it will conduct a safety recall involving approximately 2.5 million vehicles to inspect and apply special fluorine grease to the driver’s side Power Window Master Switch (PWMS). The vehicles involved include:
• 2007 to 2008 Yaris (approx. 110,300)
• 2007 to 2009 RAV4 (approx. 336,400)
• 2007 to 2009 Tundra (approx. 337,100)
• 2007 to 2009 Camry (approx. 938,100)
• 2007 to 2009 Camry Hybrid (approx. 116,800)
• 2008 to 2009 Scion xD (approx. 34,400)
• 2008 to 2009 Scion xA (approx. 77,500)
• 2008 to 2009 Sequoia (approx. 38,500)
• 2008 Highlander (approx. 135,400)
• 2008 Highlander Hybrid (approx. 23,200)
• 2009 Corolla (approx. 270,900)
• 2009 Matrix (approx. 53,800)
The driver’s side PWMS may experience a “notchy” or sticky feel during operation. If commercially available lubricants are applied to the switch in an attempt to address the “notchy” or sticky feel, melting of the switch assembly or smoke could occur and lead to a fire under some circumstances.
The “notchy” or sticky feel may be caused by an uneven application of the grease during the switch assembly process at the supplier. If the grease is not applied evenly, frequent use of the switch and normal operation may cause the grease to become carbonized and may eventually result in the deterioration of its lubricating properties.
The recall remedy will involve an inspection, switch disassembly, and application of special fluorine grease. The switch inspection and repair will be performed at no charge to the vehicle owner.
Owners of vehicles covered by this safety recall will receive an owner notification letter via first class mail starting in late October 2012. The repair will take approximately one hour depending on the dealer’s work schedule.
Today’s announcement is for U.S. market vehicles only. No other Toyota, Lexus, or Scion vehicles are involved. We are not aware of any vehicle crashes for this condition.
Detailed information is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.
Chrysler Group LLC Reports March 2012 U.S. Sales Increased 34 Percent; Best Monthly Sales in Four Years
- Best monthly sales since March 2008
- Best first quarter since 2008
- 24th-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains
- 10th-consecutive month of sales gains of at least 20 percent
- Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram Truck, and FIAT brands each post sales increases in March versus same month a year ago
- FIAT brand sets a monthly sales record; sales up 642 percent versus same month a year ago
- Chrysler brand sales up 70 percent; best monthly sales in four years
- Chrysler 200 mid-size sedan sets a monthly sales record; March sales up 121 percent
- Chrysler 300 flagship sedan posts triple-digit year-over-year sales gain
- Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans each post double-digit sales gains
- Jeep brand sales up 36 percent; best March sales since 2007
- All Jeep brand models log year-over-year sales gains
- Jeep Grand Cherokee sales up 43 percent; best March sales in six years
- Jeep Grand Cherokee named Official Winter Vehicle of New England by New England Motor Press Association (NEMPA) for second year in a row
- Dodge brand sales up 18 percent; best March since 2008 and 10th-consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains
- Iconic Dodge Challenger muscle car sets all-time monthly sales record
- Dodge Journey sets monthly sales record
- Ram pickup truck sales up 18 percent; best March sales in four years
- Ram Truck brand unveils factory-built compressed natural gas-powered (CNG) pickup truck